Sunday 4 September 2011

Sweet Softy Ribbon

I'm a big fans of Ribbon.... Simply bewitch by the sweetness of it.
It made you feel so girlish when dressing with ribbon. Recently I had see lots of hair accessories selling ribbons hair band, ribbon hair tie, clips etc... I'm so tempted to buy but the price is kind of on the high side.

So with my creative idea.. I thought of trying out to make a ribbon.
Hmmm... I like pink... I want it to be sweet... a soft squashy one will be nice if it like a soft toy...
So I end up up with a Ribbon like this:

Sweet Polka Dot Ribbon


So to start off with how i did it, below is the items you need.
  • Needle
  • Fabric
  • Quilt Battling
  • Sample of paper cut out (this is the size you want your ribbon to be)
  • Cloth Scissors
  • White thread (choose the color that match the fabric)
Items I had used

I choose the polka dot design fabric as it make me feel so sweet and young with it.
Base on the sample of the paper, I cut 2 piece of fabric out.
With the "Outer" side of the fabric facing together, I pin them together with the paper cut out.



Start sewing the 3sides of the rectangle, leaving 1 side un-sew. You may use sewing machine to get the job done faster, but i choose to do hand sewing to practice more on it.
Sew along the line

3 sides sew with only one side untouch


Once it is done, make a  few snips at the corner. This is to enable it will be flatten when flip over.
A few snip at the corner
So now is time to flip over, and stuff quilt battling in it. Depend on how full or squashy the ribbon you want it to be to add the quilt battling. For me, I in put a thin layer evenly in it.

Flip it over, with stiches insides

Stuff the Quilt Battling
Once you had stuff evenly the battling, fold both opening sides inward so that it look like a perfect smooth closure and start sewing to close the gap.
Time to fold in

I use the hidden stitch method so that there will be no running thread outside.
What you got now is a mini pillow.
Isnt that cute
Okay... to have a complete ribbon look, what I left is how i should grab hold the center part. I ever thought of using needle and thread to sew it... but it just feel weird.
So i cut out another fabric which is ard 4 cm x 3cm
What i need to do now, is fold it into half and sew at the longest side
Simply just do a running thread stitch
Flip it over and try to centralise the sewing area at the center just like the follow picture.
Now is time to coil at the center of the mini pillow to create the ribbon look.
Fold at the end and sew it together. Note that the stitches should only sew on center fabric and not on the mini pillow. If you do so, then you will had a hard time to adjust the pillow to a perfect ribbon look you want.

This ribbon can be use in many ways, you may just add a safety pin to treat it as a brooch, or tie a rubber band to it s that you are able to use it to tie your hair. Or you like me, just simply add a bobbin pin and it can be a hair clip.
Just clip the bobbin pin on it
That is me... trying out my clip to have the sweet girly look.

No comments:

Post a Comment