Friday 18 November 2016

Mode of Transport in Thailand

Recently I went to thailand, and with my Thai's friend recommendation, I used Grab Service.

< Please note that these is not sponsor post and mainly highlight my experience>

I guess this service is quite common in most country and I do love the service when I'm in Bangkok over the weekend.


I guess most of the people like me used to be ripped off by those taxi drivers in bangkok. They do not want to use meter and keep saying that area is jam. A journey if by meter cost you 120THB they will tell you due to jam fix at 350THB. I hate to argue with them on the pricing as they see that we are tourist and will insist the price. If we are with any thailand friends, they will just on meter.


But this round, I start using Grab service.

They had a few choices for you to choose. Grab Taxi, Bike, Grab Car etc.
For me I prefer to choose Grab car economy. Since this round we only had 3person traveling together.

So far all the rides that come, the car is rather new and clean. Driver are young as well, but most take up these as part-time job.

When we book for a car service, they will provide us the car model, car plate and the driver look.
So here is what i feel after using the service in Thailand

Pros:

  1. The price is transparent and most of the time cheaper than getting a taxi on road (Imagine I took a Grabcar from Asiatique to Pratunum, it only cost me 100THB, abt 40min journey)
  2. You feel safe as you are aware of the driver information
  3. As the price is fix when make booking, the driver will often get you there with their faster route
  4. Most of the Grabcar driver are young adults and they can communicate simple english with you and recommend places while you chat with them on your way.


Cons:

  1.  I'm not sure is it because of my phone GPS issue, it always not showing accurately my pickup location, thus i need to manualy key in the malls/ hotel name
  2.  Unlike uber, we can place the pin on the exact location we are standing, Grab does not allow. So sometimes we had hard time to let the driver know or understand where we standing at. You need to find prominent sign to stood at, in order for your driver to easily find you.
  3. So far I wanted to try Grabtaxi, but it will never be available. Probably because the driver can see our contact number is not local ( we register Grab service thru singapore phone as this is common service in singapore too), thus they do not want to on meter for us.



While BTS and MRT is still my prefer choice most of the time, the next transportation i used most often for this trip, i will say is Grab.
Unless I left with no choice, then will get taxi off the road.
Anyway, with the price guide, at least you roughly know the estimate price to negotiate right.

Hope this small sharing session will help you.

Have A Nice Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment